1 October 2014

At this time of year, every year, I am reminded of why so many Australians use an accountant or tax agent when completed their annual tax return.Simple really. It's because Australian Tax returns are so bloody confusing, incredibly overly detailed, with so many if's and but's, that it's enough to drive a non details big picture thinker like myself not only to drink but to total alcoholism!

Yes dear reader, and by now you've probably worked out that I have just completed my annual tax return for another year (pass the vodka, make that a triple) and am right now feeling ever so slightly stressed.

It's not that I mind having to pay my fair share of tax, if only the government of the day (any day for that matter) wouldn't waste it on unnecessary things and would fund health, education etc. better, but I digress.

Many of you would know that I am an expat Australian, happily living the good life here in hot and humid Hong Kong. As such, and as an employee here, I am also required to pay  tax on my Hong Kong income, which I also don't mind, if but for the same reasons as mentioned above. However, and this is the really good part, unlike Australian tax returns, Hong Kong tax returns are just so easy to fill in.Thus making them the polar opposites to Australia's. Now don't get me wrong, I am and always will be a proud Australian, even though I also love my second home of Hong Kong very much. I just wish we had politicians in Australia who had the balls to take on this issue and really, and I mean really, make changes and reforms to our tax system that would make my life at this time of year, every year, a whole lot easier!

Any yes, I know some of you will now be thinking why don't I use a tax agent or accountant to complete my tax return each year and thus not put my self through this distress. Another simple answer, sheer stubbornness. Which means, like many things in my life, I only have myself to blame!! LOL.






My rant and rave for today has now come to an end. Peace and Love people and may the occupy protests here in Hong Kong continue and remain peaceful. That is all!

No comments:

Post a Comment